Kids Work it Out, in collaboration with Wayne State University, was strategically developed to bring nutrition education and physical activity to children in a fun, inclusive environment with a results-driven approach.
Our Program’s PhilosophyWe believe that every child has the right to be healthy, happy and strong. Our team is committed to making this possible by introducing physical activity, nutrition and mindful behavior in a high-impact, results-driven, sustainable program. Research shows that most diseases are caused or negatively affected by stress. At Kids Work It Out, we empower children with tools to effectively combat these stressors and embrace a healthy, joyful childhood – free from disease and anxiety.
KWIO – An Eight-Step ProcessResearch shows that children thrive within a safe, structured environment. Our vetted, certified volunteers follow an eight-pronged approach within a 1-hour formula. This predictability gives children a safe environment to successfully identify immediate and long-term personal goals for total wellness.
1. Warm-UpYoga-inspired activities to build anticipation and get the children moving.
2. BreathingThe students identify the breath as a powerful presence in themselves – and each other. A themed breathing technique is introduced each week.
3. IntroductionA simple, clear overview of the day’s theme and schedule.
4. NutritionThe food plate found at choosemyplate.gov is used to explain the five food groups and identify healthful-eating options.
5. Off the MatInstruction on how to effectively apply the lesson to everyday life. This is the catalyst for pro-social behaviors based on the theme of the day.
6. YogaTwenty minutes of physical activity based on 10 yoga poses called Sun Salute A. New poses are added each week to develop a “flow” (a series of yoga poses connected by the breath).
7. RelaxationThis is a time for the students to practice active stillness and identify positive intentions.
8. ReviewA review of the day’s session and inspiration to apply the lessons in a meaningful way.
Our Program Changes Lives
Kids Work It Out has empowered children from the inside out since 2005. We have helped more than 7,500 children to live happy, healthy, strong lives by applying the research-proven information we teach in each session.